We’re a couple weeks into the new year and already I feel as though some of you may be experiencing sensory overload. My messenger inbox and this blog are inundated with questions from people asking me how they can reset, refresh, renew and get this year started without–going into more debt, having to travel to do it, having to listen to multiple podcasts (who has time?), buy books, someone, somewhere online, has suggested and then find the time to sit down and read them. My FB feed is filled with classes on cozy, decluttering, bullet journaling, planning with planners, exercise programs, serums, shakes and so so much more. Where does one start? I’ve received at least six emails from people wondering–is it vacation time yet? I’m exhausted.
Here’s what I suggest–Self Care ASAP
- Draw a nice warm Epsom salt bath– make sure to inform other members of your household that you are taking a 30 minute, or more, time-out.
- Read a good book- the kind of book that takes you away. Save the self-help books for another day. May I make a suggestion? How about Diana Gabaldon’s The Outlander Series?
- Grab your favorite little bag filled with all your favorite oils, lotions, and lip balms and slather them all on. Pick a pair of cozy socks and grab your favorite throw. Go cozy somewhere with your favorite person, pet, or book.
- Brew a cup of your favorite tea, hot cocoa, or French pressed coffee and peruse your daily paper, or your favorite people on Instagram (stories).
- Take a relaxing one-hour nap.
- Eat a nourishing breakfast, lunch, and dinner- be it soup, salad, fruit, rice, and veg, or pizza–make sure the ingredients are fresh, the meal is fulfilling, and stay well hydrated throughout the day.
- Take a nice slow walk outside.
- Make weekly self-care a part of the new year.
Take a deep breath, don’t hesitate. No need for special books, planners, podcasts, or to peruse the internet at all. Take care of yourself and your self will, I promise, take care of you.